For the last several weeks the thought of changing churches has been on my mind. I happened to be talking to a friend of mine that goes to church with me and she had been thinking the same thing, so I really started thinking maybe this is the right thing to do. I didn't want to miss my regular church service to visit another church... even the thought of that made me feel guilty. Just so happens that a friend of mine's church has Saturday evening services, so I decided to go. It was great. Very similar to my church and the people were so loving and genuine. The boys loved it too and wanted to know if we can go back there. Well as God would have it, He showed me that I should stay exactly where I am in my home church by a series of things that I believe was His doing.
Saturday afternoon while the boys were with their Daddy, I went grocery shopping and ran into a friend from church. My immediate thought was "please don't ask me why we've not been to church the last 2 weeks", lol, but she didn't. She told me that I had a gift from the preschool waiting on me when I go there tomorrow. I then went to Walmart where I ran into another friend. Seriously now... I hardly EVER run into anyone from church and here today in less than an hour, I've run into 2 people. "God are you showing me something?" I laughed to myself as I was walking to the car.
We went to our church Sunday morning, greeted by smiles, hugs and love from my brothers and sisters in Christ. It was a familiar, warm feeling. I ran into an old friend right before services and she was by herself so I asked her to sit with me. We praised and worshiped and isn't it ironic that the first two songs we sang were the exact first two songs I just changed on my playlist on MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/tonyarenee1972). Yet again, I'm like "ok God, I think I'm getting the point now".
Pastor Brian came up gave an altar call and started giving us the Word. He went to John 15:9-17. He talked about there is a hole in side of everyone that needs to be filled, which comes from the joy of the Lord, and that a friend means a believer, someone who loves God. To lay down is to put aside what we want in order to give others what they need. We have gifts on the inside of us that we are to give to others. They are not meant to be kept inside. Pastor Brian said...
"To understand your life on Earth, you have to understand eternity. To understand your purpose on Earth, you have to look beyond your life!"
He then told us about a time before he knew about calling him into ministry, sitting in a service when our church was in a tent (like a circus tent) on a busy stretch of road here in Montgomery. A man sings this song that broke him and told what the life of a Christian is supposed to be. It's called "Thank You" by Ray Boltz:
I dreamed I went to heaven
And you were there with me;
We walked upon the streets of gold
Beside the crystal sea.
We heard the angels singing
Then someone called your name.
We turned and saw a young man running
And he was smiling as he came.
And he said, "Friend you may not know me now."
And then he said, "But wait, You used to teach my Sunday School
When I was only eight.
And every week you would say a prayer
Before the class would start.
And one day when you said that prayer, I asked Jesus in my heart."
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am so glad you gave.
Then another man stood before you
And said, "Remember the time
A missionary came to your church
And his pictures made you cry.
You didn't have much money,
But you gave it anyway.
Jesus took the gift you gave
And that's why I'm here today."
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord. I
am so glad you gave.
One by one they came
Far as the eye could see.
Each life somehow touched
By your generosity.
Little things that you had done,
Sacrifices made,
Unnoticed on the earth
In heaven, now proclaimed.
And I know up in heaven
You're not supposed to cry
But I am almost sure
There were tears in your eyes.
As Jesus took your hand
And you stood before the Lord.
He said, "My child, look around you.
Great is your reward."
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am so glad you gave.
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am so glad you gave.
This is what I want. To give my life to others. To somehow impact others with the love of Jesus and show them there is an eternity waiting for them and that our lives here on Earth are only temporary, that we are preparing to claim our prize from God, but that the prize we obtain depends on our works for Him here on Earth. Pastor Brian began thanking people in his life for leading him to salvation, for leading his children to salvation, for encouragement, and it went on for a while. By now, the congregation was excited and broken. The Spirit of God was flowing through the room touching lives, which you could tell by the sniffs, the praises, the ones thanking God. It was simply amazing. He asked the worship team to sing "If not for Grace"...
Where would I be
You only know
I'm Glad You see through eyes of love
A hopeless case, an empty place
If not for Grace
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
I once was lost but now I'm found
A hopeless case, an empty place
If not for Grace
I had my eyes closed from the beginning of the song and about half way through I opened my eyes to find the altar filled with people... I'm talking about at least 100 people. Worshiping God, hands lifted, singing thanks to the God of our universe. It was breathtaking! I knew right then and there, THIS IS MY HOME!!!
I hear someone close to me sniff and look over to the end of the row in front of us to see a guy crying. You have to know that this guy never shows any kind of emotion during services, never claps or sings, just stands or sits there the entire service. It was very moving to see this guy 'break' so to say.
"Joy is the gift that can only be imparted by the Holy Spirit"!
A Christmas Prayer
7 months ago

Tonya (Boo), you are a remarkable woman of God. I honor the Christ in you. You words on this page was truly pened by the Spirit of God. I am bogged down at work this morning but the Lord kept at me about pulling up your page and when I did, His Spirit enveloped me and ministered to my heart. Boo, it is sooo wonderful to have someone that loves you unconditionally and that hear from God. You have been nothing but a God send to me . . . THANK YOU FOR GIVING TO THE LORD . . . I'm encouraged today because YOU GAVE . . . I LOVE YOU GIRL!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome and I am so happy that you have a HOME church where you can be poured into by the Holy Spirit and where the Holy Spirit can pour into others through you. I am glad to call you friend even though we just met!
ReplyDelete