Me and the boys went skating last night. Also there were Andy and his family, Daddy & Peggy, Emily & Greg, and Mitzi & Braeland. This brought back many, many cherished memories of growing up.
Ever since I can remember our lives as a family revolved around skating. I started skating when I was barely walking, at 1-1/2 years old. I did everything from figure skating to speed skating. We took many trips out of town for meets and I won many trophies and ribbons. Every weekend we were at Skatehaven and every weekend we went to Pizza Inn aftewards... you read that right Pizza "Inn", not to be mistaken for Pizza Hut. And during the summer we would leave Skatehaven and head to the waterslide on the bypassSometimes my Daddy would let me go with him on Sunday nights, which was "Soul Night", which is probably why I absolutely love 70's disco and R&B music. When the movie "Roll Bounce" came out, I HAD to get it on DVD. I could watch that movie over and over. I could go on forever about those days, but I dont' want to bore you.
Last night was the first time in 20+ years that me, my brother and my Dad have been on the skating rink floor, and time for me went back to when I was about 5 years old. It was wonderful. What was even more wonderful, is that I was now teaching my boys to skate, even though they didn't stay out there for long at any one time. I hope that maybe we will continue to do this on a somewhat regular basis. It's really good exercise.
A Christmas Prayer
7 months ago

Always good to step back and revisit something good and pure from your childhood. Makes you feel young and I truly believe that some of the things we grew up with in OUR generation is a whole lot better than what some of our kids are facing today. Good luck and have fun
ReplyDelete