Friday, January 23, 2009

Brown Apple

In Caleb's kindergarten class, they have an apple system for keeping and breaking rules. Each child starts off with a red apple every day. If you break a rule, your apple gets changed to the corresponding color of the rule they broke. Well today Caleb got a brown apple. When I asked him what he did and he said that he was playing instead of doing his work, which was the case since she wrote a note that "Caleb did hardly any work during reading time, and played most of the time". I found out that it was a substitute teacher, Ms. Shepherd, so I figured he thought he could get away with it since it wasn't his regular teacher. When we got home and I sat him down to talk to him about why he was playing instead of doing his work, he said to me with a big sigh... "Mama... Ms. Shepherd gave me too many papers and that's why I played instead of doing my work cause she has to help me". Inside I was laughing, although he wasn't aware that his explanation was funny to me. He did have twice as many papers in his folder today, so I guess to a 5 year old, and your teacher puts all those papers in front of you for you to do, it can be overwhelming. Gotta love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment