Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wellspring for Women

I have been reinspired to follow Extreme Makeover-Home Edition since they were here a few weeks ago and I was able to be a part of it. I have followed it since it started but during my busy days somehow fell off watching it.

Our pastors (Brian & Stacy Hebert) have a heart for people and helping in any way they can. Stacy announced in church this morning that we were sort of going to have an Extreme Home Makeover of our own for Wellspring for Women. This hits close to home for me because I was there when I was 16 years old (1988). Even though I grew up in church, knew the story of Christ, how He was born, died and rose again... knew right from wrong... what I was supposed to do and not do... yet I was still not a born again believer. It wasn't until some circumstances in my life happened, that God turned around for His glory, that I became a born again believer (that is my testimony that will come at a later date). But when I was at Wellspring for Women (which was called Canaan Land Girls Home when I was there)... well it scared the living daylights out of me.

Here's what I remember:
  • A girl named Starr from New York (I believe)
  • Watching Fiddler on the Roof for the very first time
  • All our food was made with homegrown, natural ingredients (molasses instead of sugar)
  • A strict schedule to follow that included chores, bible study or devotional, school studies, and watching Marilyn Hickey every single morning!!!

At my 2 week counseling session (mind you that we had NO contact with anyone outside... relatives, friends or anyone), I remember us praying as a group and the leader of that group was saying she saw a "harlet" among the group... well it turned out during my individual counseling session that she was talking about ME! I was mad, angry, hurt... how in the world could she call me a harlet!?! She doesn't know me at all. After these 2 weeks, we were able to call home, and I called my Dad to come get me. I don't even remember if it was 2 weeks or 2 months before I left there but I was bursting at the seams to leave the God-forbidden place.

Not until recently have I realized what that place was truly about. I started going back to church when Coby was 2 years old (2006) because I knew I wanted them growing up knowing who God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost were. I realized after a while that Wellspring for Women was actually the former Canaan Land Girls Home. OMG... this was the same ministry that tried to help me 18 years earlier that I didn't want ANYTHING to do with! But now... I understand! I understand their ministry, trying to help women know who Jesus is. I, at 16 years old, was just not ready to hear the gospel.

Today, Pastor Stacy announced that we were going to help them with this million dollar home that they have "almost" completed... which has been "almost finished" for 5 years now! It is time to help our own and finish this home... to allow this home to be used for His Glory!!! Knowing some of the women that have been to Wellspring for Women, I know it changes lives... by the grace of God! We will be having a construction day/picnic for our entire church to visit Wellspring and actually tour it to know where some of our mission money is going. I'm excited and will post pictures when it takes place.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like being able to give back to something that molded you into what you are today, even if you didn't take the knowledge away from your experience when you were there in the past. I hope that maybe you can share with them your life experiences and open the eyes of someone who might not see through the storm clouds.

    ReplyDelete